We are very excited to begin the 19/20 Academic Year. As you drive down the lane to the high school you will see a great deal of construction and we are excited for the opportunities it will afford to our students and community. The MVCSD focus for the year is "Excellence Under Construction" and MVHS readily adopts this theme into our own journey this year. Students will have the opportunity to now take specific Computer Science courses as well as attain an FAA certification through our new Drone course. Video announcements will once again be a focus as we have purchased video equipment for our students to apply through our GenYes pilot curriculum that will allow for students develop skills to assist in the IT needs in our building and gain certification for possible schooling/employment upon graduation. Ms. Emily Lewis and Mr. Benjamin Wittwer will join our staff with Mr. Wittwer working in our Art Department and Ms. Lewis leading our Latin programming. Mr. Anthony Savage will be joining the MVCSD as a coordinator in our Mount Vernon Digital Academy. As we look to construct new opportunities, we will continue to assess and remodel our current programming as necessary and addressing the needs of our student body. Please look at the following items that are important to recognize as we begin the year.
1) Schedule pick up will be August 16th, 19th and 20th from 9 AM -11 AM outside the Guidance Office. Schedules will also be available the night of Open House. There will be no schedule changes the night of Open House.
2) Chromebook distribution will be the 22nd of August during HIVE. All student forms need to be completed for students to receive their Chromebook. Please be sure you get into Parent Portal to complete required forms.
3) Open House will be August 19th from 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM. Please come to the high school and meet your child's teachers for the year. Administration will be available to answer questions for our new students to the district as well as our incoming freshman.
4) We have aligned our schedule with the Middle School and will begin our day at 7:40 AM and end at 2:36 PM. Breakfast is served in the cafeteria in the morning before school and students should be dropped off at the top of the hill by the cafeteria entrance rather down in front of the high school. Doors will open for breakfast at 7:15. Please do not drop your student off earlier than that time.
5) Freshman Transition Day is August 21st for the entire school day. Freshman and new high school students to the district will have the opportunity to have their own day in the building prior to the remainder of our 10th, 11th, and 12th graders beginning August 22nd. Repeat freshman do not come on Transition Day and will start on the 22nd.
6) School pictures are Monday, August 26th. All students need to have a picture taken for a student ID. Pictures will also be taken at the Mount Vernon Digital Academy on this day.
7) Seniors are encouraged to have all fees current up to their senior year fees. This is part of the requirement to meet the incentive that was shared with senior parents through the Parent Portal communication. A form for seniors will be available on the website on 8/15.
We look forward to working with you in the year(s) ahead and are thankful for the support our parents and community members provide to the Mount Vernon City School District!